SITA UK key figures 2013
SITA UK is a recycling and resource management company with over 5,500 employees and an annual turnover in excess of £750 million.
We operate at each stage of the recycling and waste management chain – from collection to final disposal. At each stage, we make sure that our activities are fully compliant, respect our environment and support a sustainable way of life.
- We advise on how to reduce their waste and manage their resources more efficiently. In 2013, we recycled and recovered over five million tonnes of waste and are striving to raise the recovery rate further.
- We pioneer advances in waste management technologies such as in-vessel and . We recover and waste incineration, tapping renewable sources that reduce the need to burn fossil fuels.
- SITA UK is part of SUEZ ENVIRONNEMENT, a multinational water and waste treatment specialist. Being part of a multinational means we have access to international research and development expertise, which helps us to deliver innovative projects in the UK.
- We operate our for schools across the country. initiatives to the highest environmental standards and work hard to be a good neighbour. At some of our larger sites, we take part in liaison groups. We also invite thousands of people into our facilities each year, so they can see recycling and waste management at first hand. We have popular
- has distributed over £100 million to community and environmental projects since 1997. The funding is allocated through the Government’s Landfill Communities Fund where a proportion of the landfill tax we collect can be redistributed to the SITA Trust.
At a glance (2013)
- Waste handled – 8.7 million tonnes
- Waste recycled and recovered – 5.4 million tonnes
- Amount of compost produced – 83,000 tonnes
- Total amount of electricity generated from landfill and energy-from-waste facilities – 855,000 megawatt hours